Old February 23rd 04, 04:02 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

It does? I thought the current lease deal was for four aircraft. There

have
been rumors of a possible expansion of this, or an outright purshase of

some
C-17s (up to six, according to AFM), but AFAIK nothing has been

released?
did read where one of the original four got a bit banged up during a

landing
at Kabul (wingtip and engine striking the ground at it settled in) this

past
December; could it be that they are returning that aircraft for more
extensive repairs and this bird is a replacement under the lease deal?

Brooks

There was a recent article in global defence that mentioned that
usage of the four aircraft was running at 200% of that envisaged
in the original lease. Aparently the RAF has increased the
squadron establishment by 8 flightcrew and 22 engineers
and the RAF has made it clear that it would like to increase the fleet
to at least 12 . The MOD has apparently been negotiating
about the outright purchase of at least some aircraft.

Yeah, that pretty much agrees with what I have read, though the number I saw
was a possible increase of six aircraft, either leased or purchased bweing
possible, for a total strength of ten. Haven't seen any confirmation of a
deal as of yet, though.

Brooks

Keith