Old February 23rd 04, 08:22 PM
Jim Doyle

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
I drove past the charter terminal at MSP this evening, and
happened to see another C-17 at the terminal in UK markings.
Looks like the Brits are getting another C-17 delivery. It
was too dark to see the tail numbers.

Last I heard the RAF was due its fifth C-17 in March/April this year for

99
Sqn at RAF Brize Norton, so that tallies.

It does? I thought the current lease deal was for four aircraft. There

have
been rumors of a possible expansion of this, or an outright purshase of

some
C-17s (up to six, according to AFM), but AFAIK nothing has been released?

did read where one of the original four got a bit banged up during a

landing
at Kabul (wingtip and engine striking the ground at it settled in) this

past
December; could it be that they are returning that aircraft for more
extensive repairs and this bird is a replacement under the lease deal?

Yes that's quite right, the original case was just the four lease aircraft.
I was lucky enough to visit 99 Squadron last November, and was told a fifth
aircraft was planned then for EIS late this spring - nothing official, just
from one of the Flt Sgt loadies.

Jim D

Brooks