Old October 22nd 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Default Are autopilots allowed for IFR training?

Roy Smith wrote:
Blanche wrote:
Me, personally, have a 1/2-axis autopilot. Turn it on, it holds
the heading. Well, not really. Since it's not coupled to anything,
it doesn't know when there's any deviation, such as winds. I can
start out on a heading of 120, turn on the AP. If winds
are from the north, then my actual track is more southerly, depending
on the strength of the winds.

I assume you understand the difference between heading and track?

It sounds like he does. He was giving a simple example of what would
happen if he set his autopilot heading to his course, with no
adjustment for wind. His track would then be affected, as he said.

Regards, Kev