Old October 22nd 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Are autopilots allowed for IFR training?

Kev writes:

It sounds like he does. He was giving a simple example of what would
happen if he set his autopilot heading to his course, with no
adjustment for wind. His track would then be affected, as he said.

Are there autopilots that will actually hold the aircraft to a track
instead of a heading? I imagine it would require close integration
with a GPS or other navaids that permit the actual path over the
ground to be determined (GPS may provide this directly; it might have
to be inferred from other navaids).