Old February 29th 04, 04:19 PM
John

You will have almost as much blade cone in a STEADY auto rotation as
in hover. The cone angle is the tangent of the vertical force vector
verses the centrifugal l force vector generated by the rotation of the
blades. The only force not supported by the blades in auto rotation
is the force generated upward on the body of the helicopter by the
vertical wind component. Due to this you will still have 90% or more
of the cone angle when in hover. You can reduce the cone angle by
speeding up the RPM of the blades since the centrifugal force
generated depends on the square of the RPM. Most people keep the
blade RPM at the top of the green in auto's anyway.
John

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:14:24 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

Steve...
Kindly read my post carefully. I said NO CONE TO SPEAK OF. As in...it
would not to compare to the cone present when trying to yank the helicopter
off the ground at Max Gross Weight. The lift generated with the collective
down is what keeps your rate of decent an "autorotative" rate, rather at
terminal velocity

As to your other post...when the collective is down with no engine power (on
a real helicopter) the pitch links are adjusted to keep the auto-R.P.M.
within an acceptable RANGE. That is a standard maintenance function, but it
dosn't mean the pilot can go to sleep during an auto. Collective down, if
rpm is too high- it's not adjusted properly, but the pilot can jockey the
collective. If its too low it's DEFINATELY not adjusted properly and rots
o' ruck.

In my first post in this string ALL I was trying (apparently not too
clearly) to explain is that if the engine is running (at all) the governor
knows it. I am a heavy helicopter maintenance type and can't even spell
Robinson, BUT even the most "rudimentary" if you will, helicopters have to
operate with some derivation of dynamic principles and proven hardware
concept application. The bottom line is in an auto, to keep the rotor in
the green right off. Too High is always better than Too Low because the
pilot can fix that.

Good luck,
Bob