Old October 12th 05, 10:40 PM
Marc Ramsey

Jack Glendening wrote:
I'm thinking about "upgrading" from a Cambridge LNAV/GPS to a more
modern setup using a PDA. But I've noticed that the usual setup has
the PDA mounted vertically on the canopy, which I would not like since
it obscures a portion of the outside view and for me the visual
aesthetics of being able to look out and sightsee while I am flying
are very important (and the main reason why I own a DG with its large
canopy area). I would think there are other alternatives such as
strapping the PDA on one's thigh - but perhaps the usual setup is
mandated by some factor, such as sun-washout of the screen if it were
to be more horizontal (per the thigh-mounted approach). So I was
wondering if anyone has experience with a non-canopy-mounted PDA which
they like and would recommend (and which does not impede the external
view).

Actually, I don't know anyone who mounts their PDA such that it obscures
a significant of the outside view. In my DG, I mounted the PDA on the
side of the instrument pod, the only thing it obscured was the view of
my toes. If you strap the PDA to your thigh, you'll be spending a bit
too much time looking down and away from the sky.

The other thing to consider is how well your eyes can handle to the
(low) contrast of the PDA screen. These days, I find that the closer I
mount the PDA to my eyes, the better (and quicker) I can see what it is
displaying, so mounting on an arm on the canopy rail, slightly below the
sight line to the outside, might be the best solution. Just make sure
there is some way for the power/data cable to break or disconnect if you
need to eject the canopy...

Marc