Old July 20th 03, 12:30 PM
Martin Gregorie

On 19 Jul 2003 12:02:40 -0800, (Mark James Boyd)
wrote:

I'm a big fan of audio variometers, but unfortunately we don't
have one in our PW-5, so I don't fly anywhere near other gliders
in it. With an audio vario, it's easy to keep eyes exclusively
outside because I'm trying to keep precise pitch anyway.
Too bad it's only in our 1-26. We did have a pilot fly the
regional in the PW-5, but he has quite a bit more experience
and I'm sure his scan outside, then to inside and back out
is much more disciplined than mine.

Our club Pegase has a Cambridge Mk 4, which I'm happy with. It makes
noise, is switchable for damping rate, instant or averager display and
plugs into a TE probe. They are out of production, so must be pretty
cheap, and only need one (80mm?) panel hole. Of course it has no
Macready ring, so you'd need a Winter or PZL as well, which I guess
you already have installed.

Have you considered the modern equivalents, such as the Tasmin? They
have the same functions as the Mk 4. If I was in the market for this
type of vario I'd be looking at that or the B.40, which I think is
similar.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK