Old June 8th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Default Cherokee 140 Oil Temp Creeping Up

Mike, was the oil filter adapter also changed or was its vernatherm seat
ground when the vernatherm was changed? If the new vernatherm doesn't fit
the seat in the oil filter adapter, the vernatherm fix would not be
complete. When my vernatherm was changed and the seat ground, it fixed a
hot oil problem in my Archer.

--
Best Regards,
Mike.

http://flickr.com/photos/mikenoel/
"Mike Spera" wrote in message
m...
I have owned this Cherokee 140 since 1994. I have logged over 1000 hours in
it through the original and the now installed overhauled engine. Oil temps
were usually at 180 degrees (both engines)when OATs were between 50-80
degrees or so. It would read 1 needle mark higher when it got to be 95+
outside. In the last 150 hours or so, it has been drifting up and is now
reading about 2 needle marks above 180 degrees (200 degrees or so?). I
replaced the oil cooler because of age. It was cheaper to replace it with a
new PMA'd unit than to have it checked/cleaned. I swapped the Vernatherm.
No difference. Do the gauges/senders drift off with age. I am going to test
the sender/gauge with hot water and a thermometer.

Once it gets to that mark, it seems to stabilize.

Baffles are all in good shape.

What else causes temps to drift high? I know that shifting main bearings
can cause this, but I doubt the engine would continue to operate for this
long if this were the case. I do wonder though because the cold oil
pressure is right at redline on takeoff. After 5 minutes it goes back down
into the middle of the green.

Thoughts/theories?

Thanks,
Mike