Old April 30th 05, 07:39 PM
nafod40

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote...

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Everything Bob does and has done in aerobatics with each and every
aircraft
he has flown professionally for that purpose has required special waivers
from competent authority.

And certainly an aircraft inspected more often than your average ragged
out trainer. I saw footage of a Hoover wannabe foldering up the wings
on a Partenavia during an airshow.

Yes; this type of thing is unfortunate. Hoover is very aware of it and
speaks to GA pilots quite often on safety issues. He's always been quite
candid and truthful; especially when discussing his own mistakes.
Copy-cat issues with aerobatic wannabes are quite prevalent in aviation
unfortunately.

Not just aviation. I rock climb, and at the top of the rock climbing
pyramid are guys that climb thousand foot cliffs of astounding
difficulty, and do it solo without any ropes or other safety gear. Just
their skill.

And when asked about it, to a man they do the right thing and go on and
on, blah, blah, blah, about how they do it for themselves, and no one
else should do it, etc. And still people follow their lead and kill
themselves when they get over their head.

The soloists can do what they do because they have absolute mastery (as
much as one can be a master) of their skills and limitations. The
problem is, their logic of "I am a master, therefore I can solo" gets
turned around by wannabes into "If *I* solo climb, I too must be a
master." At which point natural selection occurs.

Everybody would like to have the skills of Mr. Hoover. More than a few
think they already do. Some will always die trying to prove it, to
themselves and others. So it'll be a constant battle.