Old September 6th 05, 07:44 PM
Chris G.

Are there even ANY radio ranges still in existence in the US?

Chris G.

Bob Moore wrote:
Charles Wood wrote

I have been told that, while originally this merge created a
continuous, uninterrupted tone except for the station identification
every 30 seconds, that it later evolved to a "Pulsed on-beam tone"
i.e., a series of dashes when flying "on the beam."

Not during my instrument training time in 1959. I spent a lot of
time listening to the "Alice" radio range in Alice, TX. Never once
used a radio range after I left Advanced Training at Kingsville, TX.
for anything but ADF'ing.

Now...there were long range navigation systems such as CONSOLAN that
used pulsed dashes and pulsed dots to indicate on which bearing from
the station the receiver was located. It requried a special CONSOLAN
chart for navigation. Perhaps a web search on "CONSOLAN" will turn up
some more information.

Bob Moore