Old April 9th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Default Tow Pilot Currency

That is also our club policy.
A tow ship in a small club is a valuable commodity.

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
We require our tow pilots to be glider pilots and to have made the three
flights in a glider. This is a club operation.

(I know you didn't ask, but it seems better to us for the tow pilot to
have experience at both ends of the rope.)

At 22:00 07 April 2009, 150flivver wrote:
On Apr 7, 4:00=A0pm, Tony Condon
wrote:
At 20:39 07 April 2009, 150flivver wrote:

Is it true a PPL tow pilot needs to fly and log an endorsement with a
current and qualified tow pilot every 12 months (three flights) to be
current? =A0I've read 61.69 and that's what it seems to say.

Yes, almost. =A061.69(a)(6) deals with towpilot currency. =A0The

towpilot=
has
two choices to be current:

(i) Made at least three actual or simulated tows of a glider or

unpowered
ultralight vehicle while accompanied by a qualified pilot who meets

the
requirements of this section; or

(ii) Made at least three flights as pilot in command of a glider or
unpowered ultralight vehicle towed by an aircraft.

Note that no endorsement is required. =A0If the towpilot is not able

f=
ly
a glider as PIC then they must ride with another current towpilot.

=A0thi=
applies whether the towpilot has a Private, Commercial, or ATP
Certificate.

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Thanks.