Old March 30th 13, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring in Alaska?

I did many simulated flameout approaches to Eielson AFB, AK (26 mi SE of
Fairbanks) back in the 70s. Does that count? Naaaah... Those were just
sleigh rides.

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message
On Friday, March 29, 2013 7:37:18 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On 3/29/2013 1:41 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Friday, March 29, 2013 2:05:20 PM UTC-6, ASM wrote:

Just got back from a trip to Alaska. The mountains and scenery are
spectacular. Is there any soaring in Alaska? If yes, where? Thanks,
Jacek

Near Fairbanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMG1trzznHg

The video was actually taken in VA but the young pilot has moved to

Fairbanks.

Yes, there is soaring and the mountains are spectacular ... but no clubs

or commercial operations due to insurance issues.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdbrown...7600056346477/

Pete Brown

Anchorage

I just ran with her name due to the lack of other identifiers in the
video. Gee, and I thought I found a secret soaring spot;^) After a
little more digging, the video was indeed done at Shenandoah Valley
Soaring.

Thanks Pete,

Frank Whiteley