Old March 22nd 19, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:49:14 PM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 9:18:36 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
I understand powerflarm does not detect UAT due to hardware limitation. It would be great if powerflarm would provide an upgrade path to receive UAT, giving that UAT seem to get more and more popular in USA GA thanks to skybeacon. Even an exchange program will do.

Ramy

The simplest option would be for PowerFlarm to utilize an off the shelf dual band ADS-B receiver like the pingUSB (https://uavionix.com/products/pingusb/) for the ADS-B IN capability and merge that data with the internally received FLARM information. The pingUSB sells for $175 and supports ADS-R and TIS-B.

I have corresponded with Flarm and LX nav. Per the copied messages and still waiting for a reply from LX Navigation, The new OEM chip from Flarm support the things you are asking for. Flarm is not currently offering their own solution for consumers but may in the future. LX Nav is doing some of the support but not using the Flarm chip that does it all, so must have some proprietary implementation and don't appear to support TIS-R. LX Navigation is using Flarm's new chip but has been unresponsive to my inquiries.

My message to Flarm::
I live and fly in the USA. Are you planning to come out with a new product that incorporates your new oem chip with ADS-B, Mode-S, ADS-R and TIS-B receiver at 1090 MHz? and also the Mode C and S PCAS capabilities?

I have communicated with LX Nav and they indicated they are not implementing TIS-B. LX Navigation tells it's dealer here in the USA that they are implementing TIS-B and ADSB-R. But give no availability information. They have not responded to my inquiries.

Any insight you can provide me would be appreciated. I am currently using a PortableFlarm. but will need to give that up when I sell my old glider and would like to get the latest for the new(to me) motorglider.

Bruce

And their reply::

Hi Bruce

That's correct: LX Navigation has implemented the required hardware and will see support for TIS-R and ADS-R after the software upgrade, likely in summer 2019.

- Urban

Also in another message they indicated that they will not be supporting UAT..

Bruce BD