Old May 21st 19, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider Financing : Is Lea County State Bank still the only gamein town?

I just bought a glider and used a car loan to supplement the cash saving I had for the purchase. Commercial Banks and Credit Unions will loan you up to 80% the value of the vehicle if there are no other liens on it, and you can use the cash for whatever you want. The process takes about 2 hours from start to getting the money too. The loan will be the lowest interest rate you can get for any type of loan...between 3% and 4%. I was given 3.5%, I'm sure I could find someone to give it to me at 3.2% if I cared. Credit Unions usually give the best rates for these types of loans. I told my credit union I was buying a glider with the money, and my loan guy was "cool! text me a picture when you get it".

I know that unless you own a Porsche outright, then 80% the value of most cars won't give you the full purchase money needed buy most gliders, but you will pay the least amount of interest on whatever you borrow. So if you are going to borrow, at least borrow some portion at the lowest interest rate possible.

This next portion was not for OP, but for someone else reading or looking in RAS at a later time....

I will also say, getting two loans in quick succession could be bad for the second loan, as it will look bad during your credit check seeing the first loan happening recently depending on your credit history. If you are described as "thin filed", meaning you haven't been borrowing a lot of money from any source, and then all of sudden you are asking for a lot of money from multiple, it looks shady. Also means you get your biggest loan first, then your second. So I would ask if getting two loans would actually be beneficial with a loan professional at a bank before doing the two loan concept.. Again, Credit Unions are the best place to ask as they aren't there to make share holders money.

Lastly, when looking for the best rate, pay off all your credit card debt a week before applying if you can, as that reduces your debt-to-assets ratio, which directly affects your interest rate.