Old March 19th 18, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default battery charge rate

Agreed, other than time on charge, no issue with a slow rate charge.
In general, charging at a rate that warms the battery a bunch is killing a little life.

Note: decades ago, we slow charged NiCads (for RC car use) to "full". Then, just before a race, we hit them a few times to top off and warm them up.
Pulling power is a chemical process, usually the warmer the item the faster the process (energy dump) which is what we wanted.
Part of why a car battery seems weak when rather cold vs. a warm day.

The only time a high rate charge may be worthwhile is to help shed some plate sulfation in VRLA batteries. Even then, it is up for discussion.
Yes, in case someone brings it up, an equalize charge on VRLA/flooded cells can help with new batteries, but only a time or two in their life.
Taken from someone that made a living observing and monitoring batteries for datacenters and their UPS's.