Old February 27th 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default Question for UH or other RC personnel

On Feb 27, 12:44*pm, Mike wrote:
Looking at the SSA website there are two PDF's concerning the ban on
AH's. In neither one, do I see anything that would prevent me from
using an Android device running XCSoar.

The fact that XCSoar does not have a working AH should make it legal
to use in US contests. Is this correct?

Mike Carris

Hi Mike,
You are correct.

The discussion has centered around the as yet unavailable "artificial
horizon" capability that we understand is under development.
The RC is working with XCSoar to ensure that any such developments do
not inadvertently disqualify the product from use in either FAI or US
competitions (FAI rules also prohibit aritficial horizons).

The RC wants to do everything possible to keep the cost of entry for
racing as low as possible and programs like XCSoar are a key part of
that.

John Godfrey (QT)
Rules Committee