Old May 13th 05, 10:10 PM
Paul Lynch

While your logic is sound for the second argument, MBO has an instrument
approach and it underlies Jackson's Class C airspace. I don't have a
sectional for that area, but I'll bet the Class E goes to 700' above surface
at the airport. The sectional may also show that MBO is actually in or
partially in the surface to 4000AGL Class C airspace since it is so close to
Jackson. If that is the case, then the viz and cloud clearance requirements
would preclude that VFR traffic from LEGALLY operating.

Sooo... any Jackson pilot know what Jackson approach expects?

In my opinion, there are two issues here. One is regulatory:

§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G
airspace.

snip

Sure, the situation could "require" that you make a turn to the right; or
you could get "authorized" by ATC; but you might have to justify your
decision if you felt that it was "required", especially if you did so
without authorization, and there was some incident.

The second (and probably more important) issue has to do with avoiding
possible VFR traffic in the area/pattern that is executing normal left
hand
traffic. I believe KMBO is Class G below 700'. If so, the VFR minima are
1 mile/clear of clouds. There certainly could be VFR traffic operating
to/from the airport legally in the Class G with 900/5 weather.

I've done that myself going from a water takeoff to a land airport (KLCI)
served by instrument approaches under conditions similar to what you
describe. All legal. I don't know if seaplanes are allowed on the
reservoir to the east of your airport, but that might be one source of VFR
traffic other than folk in the pattern.

Best,