Old September 17th 04, 01:39 AM
RobertR237

A question I've always wanted to ask homebuilders is based on how I can see
one could go through the process of building through lots of hard work and
dedication - but how do you get yourself to do that first flight? I would
think a thousand questions would fill one's mind (ex: did I tighten or
overtighten that blank, are the rivets going to hold,,,, etc.).

How does one safely test an 'unknown'..... just curious.....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

A wise builder will have check, re-checked, and checked it all again but will
then hire a professional test pilot for the first flight. The logical reasons
for doing this are many. The professional test pilot is going to be very
logical and methodical in the flight test program. They will be less excited,
more tuned into how the aircraft flies, more qualified to handle the
unexpected, and last but not least they will be less likely to sacrifice their
life trying to save the plane.

After that first flight, you have a plan that allows you, the pilot, to become
accustomed to the aircraft as you methodically expand the flight envelope and
test the aircraft. The flight test plan should be written and plan each flight
and what the flight should test and what results should be expected. Those
first 25-40 hours are not pleasure flights, they are work and should be planned
as such. Enjoy the flight but understand their purpose.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)