Old April 6th 04, 12:10 PM
mah

Steve Wanasek wrote:

Could anyone direct me to a site to get historical information on the NAS
HUTCHINSON and NAS OLATHE bases. Both bases were in Kansas and if memory
serves me correct they were both closed in the late '50's.
Thanks for any and all help,
Steve

Steve,

NAS Olathe is now New Century Air Center (IXD). May be wrong, but the
only remaining buildings are the hanger (used by the Army Reserve) and
one of the base officer quarters (used as a museum).

Did research in their library several times before they had to downsize
the collection. The museum was in the base commander's and XO's
residences. One building was lost when a nearby building changed the
ground water flow and collapsed the basement.

Try http://www.museumstuff.com/rec/org_20020201_15817.html for some
details and a phone number. Currently reorganizing my notes and can't
get to the contact card right now for my sponsor at the museum.

If my mind isn't totally covered in cobwebs, I believe John Glenn took
pilot training at NAS Olathe.

Hope this helps.

MAH