Old March 7th 04, 02:15 AM
Gerry Caron

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
news
I'd installed my new Microair transponder a month ago, but have been

having
troubles with interference. The transponder was inducing bad clicking
sounds into the comm radio receiver, making the radio difficult to
understand.

SNIP
So, today I took a roll of aluminum foil out to the airplane and wrapped
foil around the back of the radio, leading it down the wires until it
contacted the braid. Duct tape, of course, to hold it in place.

I'm happy to report that this solved the problem. Radio signals were
perfectly clear.

I figure the foil isn't worthwhile as a permanent solution. A guy at the
airport suggested using aluminum window-screen material. It appeals to

the
cheap side of me. Any drawbacks, or suggestions for alternates?

Use what the pros use -- copper tape. Call friendly neighborhood EMI
engineer or go to McMaster-Carr; www.mcmaster.com. Search for "copper
tape".

Gerry