Old October 20th 04, 04:17 AM
Mike Adams

"Roy Page" wrote:

Over to the group to help me decide - Install a 430 or 480 ?

There have been several discussions on this recently. Check Google. The bottom line as I recall, is that
the 480 is viewed as more advanced and better suited to serious IFR work. It's more like a big-iron FMS
in its user interface, and quite a different flight planning concept than the 430. It also has airways, WAAS,
and a bit larger display. The 430 on the other hand benefits from the large installed user base (Garmin
can't abandon it), and a somewhat easier to use interface, especially for casual (occasional IFR plus
VFR "airport finding") use. The 480 is also about $3K more expensive. I haven't kept up on all the traffic
and weather display options, but the 430 is fairly well understood in this area. The 480 may depend on
the MX-20 MFD for some of this.

Hope this helps.
Mike