Old December 10th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Mid-Air over the Everglades

On Dec 9, 4:05 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"GetErDone" wrote in message

Rescue crews continued Sunday searching for bodies of two pilots presumed dead
after their small planes collided and crashed into the Everglades.

According to the map in this morning's paper, that accident happened in a
busy practice area not far from a popular reporting point (the bend in the
Sawgrass Expressway). I was terribly afraid that my favorite rental mount was
involved, but apparently not this time. There are several nearby airports, so
It is unlikely that the two planes were on the same radio channel.

Whilst flying, remember to look out the front window folks.

Vaughn

However, if the descending plane is low wing and the one
flying level is a high wing in more or less aligned tract,
it will be almost impossible to see each other.

I have a Zaon PCAS unit that can detect many
whose transponders are on. And I get nervous
when I hear someone near the same reporting point
I am at, but without visual, nor PCAS reading.