Old September 18th 14, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Butterfly vario

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:51:31 PM UTC-7, s6 wrote:
Le mercredi 17 septembre 2014 03:57:59 UTC-4, Steve Parker a écrit*:

Hi,

I really like the look of the Butterfly vario, it ticks most of my

requirement boxes.

Where do most people fit their sensor box given the requirement to be 100mm

from data wires and metal, 150mm away from avionics, 300mm away from 2 amp

cables and 500mm from a speaker?

I realise gliders have different positions for wires and speakers but I

would like to know how others have positioned their box.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi

I know this is off topic!

I am considering buying the BF. Anyone care to give is opinion on the vario in this instrument.

Regards

Gilles

Opinion on the Butterfly:

I have now flown with it for two seasons. I like it. It is expensive, but I think the best of the current generation. The display is extremely well done and the user interface intuitive and quick to operate.

The inertially derived Vertical Airmass Movement and instantaneous wind give you a better picture of what the air around the glider is doing, rather than the long term averages other instruments give you.

I have not seen the newest generation LX products, but in my opinion the Butterfly (now Air Avionics) is some distance ahead of the ClearNav in features, and two generations or more ahead in user interface.

The companion iGlide product is also at least a decade ahead of any competing product in user interface. It has been held back by the small iPhone display, but this has recently changed.