Old December 24th 03, 10:59 PM
BTIZ

don't rule out the SGS 1-26 (American Made) or a SGS 1-34..

There is a large group of 1-26 pilots that compete in "single class"
competitions.. its going cross country where the pilot makes the
difference.. not the $$ in the glass.

The L-33 is a great beginning cross country ship.. and it's metal.. can be
left out in the weather without the UV damage to glass.. The PW-5, though
funny looking.. is the new "World Class Glider", a replacement to the 1-26
single class competitions. The PW-5 would be the way to go if you are
considering world class.

And there are great older glass birds in the 20-35K range.
Best bet would be to get your rating.. then talk to owners and fly a few
different makes/models.. and then make you your own mind.

Welcome to the club..
BT

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message
I'm a new glider pilot, having just switched my FAI air sport of choice
after 23 years of leaping out of airplanes.

By this summer it is almost certain I'll be purchasing my own glider. I'm
interested in having fun, cross-country (eventually competing), and having
fun, in that order.

I've read about a dozen back issues of the Soaring magazines laying about

my
local club, but I have yet to come across a layman's buyer's guide (or

any,
for that matter). I've done some 'Net surfing as well, with no luck. And

I'm
surprised by the variety of manufacturers and models. I've gleaned enough

suspect that my final choice will be something along the lines of a PW-5,
L-33 solo, or AC-4. But what about the 304-CZ? And why are there no

American
glider manufacturers to speak of? (I know, too many trial lawyers with too
much free time.)

If anyone has recently been through this process of finding out what all

the
options are in a nicely distilled format, or where I might find some good
Internet resource on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Ted in Tempe