View Single Post
Old June 21st 17, 02:20 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Aug 2010

The argument that low tow might substantially decrease the chances of tug upsets is limited. As was pointed out by a previous poster this might only increase the chance to react by half a second. My personal experience is that in a sudden kiting situation it's happened before you could react. If it is a slowly evolving circumstance you might have a chance to release. There is an altitude below which the outcome will be disastrous no matter what kind of hook is being used.

In my two experiences both gliders had nose hooks. While the CG hook might enhance the kiting incident the nose hook requirements are not going to eliminate it. While I am all for extra training and vigilance the bottom line is that the human element is still in the picture and humans make mistakes even with the best of training. One moment of failure to pay attention on the part of the glider pilot can result in the death or serious injury of the tow pilot.

The Schweizer hook is well documented to be incapable of releasing the glider under certan circumstances. The Tost hook on the other hand does not seem to have these limitations. In virtually every document I have read regarding this it states, "In some towhook systems, the high pressure loading on the towhook causes towhook seizure, and the tow pilot may not be able to release the towline from the towplane. This situation can be critical if it occurs at altitudes below 500 feet above ground level (AGL). Upon losing sight of the towplane, the glider pilot must release immediately." For this reason it is beyond my ability to comprehend why Schweizer hooks are still in use. At a minimum they should be inverted and the release handle should be such that olympic level calesthenics are not necessary for actuation.

My letter is nearing completion and I fully intend to submit it to the FAA. Will it cause disruption to the sport? Perhaps, but the fact is that the SSA and their assigns have demonstrated to me that they are unwilling to step forward in the name of safety and act.

Walt