Old January 27th 05, 09:37 AM
......... :-\)\)

I don't see the point from a structural point of view.

The only reason you would do this is for lightning protection. Copper and
alumnium meshes are commonly laminated into composite laminates of
certificated airplanes to disipate electical energy associated with a
lightening strike.

However I wouldn't use flyscreen mesh for this. There are products available
for this exact prupose from Astrostrike and Delker (I think they just
changed there name). They are cheap and have a proper surface treatment for
bonding to the epoxy (they are cocured).

"Allan Morrison" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone see an advantage using aluminum windowscreen for a layer or
layers in a composite structure.
The outer layer(s)could be fiberglass where exterior smoothness is
required.
At ~0.5 oz per ft^2 it should be useful for something where high
strength to weight is desired.
Has it been used in some previous design?
Comments please.