Old September 15th 08, 12:26 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

Default Pilot makes first NVG Antarctic landing

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
On Sep 14, 6:07 am, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in

On Sep 13, 6:05 am, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
On Sep 13, 3:33 am, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:
High intensity IR LED's in the landing lights would do the job
quite
well
without having to worry about the reflected active illumination
from
the
main landing lights, in conjunction with IR reflectors (as used on
the
back
of most military vehicles in night time full tactical situations)
would
finish the job,

"Hell I have been doing some experiments with IR stuff for
the last couple of months, and it would seem pretty trivial"

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/89009.html

MILspec goes to -40. I had a freezer to test electronics
that went lower, wires shatter, metal brittles. You'll need
to extend your specs to -120F.
Ken

your also assuming that the de-icing on the AC is turned off ??

:-), you can email the A-S base and ask them,
maybe you have good idea!
--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?
LOL

I only asked because the de-icing could also be used to keep the IR's
warm
enough to work in hostile conditions :-)
Not having anything to do with MIL spec stuff in decades (and only having
discussions with a mate who has recently retired from the US military,
who's
professional purview was all things IR and thermo [and only things of a
distinctly NON military nature])
I might just put this too him as he now works for a military contractor,
you
never know it might just work :-)

Some people in the A-S station keep blogs, that I
occasionally read, very interesting stuff, and they
have email addresses. IIRC metal embittlement is
a problem, so they need use the right alloys and
so forth.
Ken

care to share a URL or two :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?