Old September 11th 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default Racing airspace "violation" question

On Sep 10, 3:28Â*pm, Andy wrote:
On Sep 10, 3:02Â*pm, SoaringXCellence wrote:

On Sep 10, 9:39Â*am, Andy wrote:

On Sep 10, 9:06Â*am, Andy wrote:

There is an analogous situation in the current rules. At the Sports
Nationals this year there was one task where a courseline choice that
took you out over a lot of unlandable terrain got you to much better
conditions and higher overall speeds. Most (but not all) of the guys
who went there had motors. I spoke to one pilot about how he thought
about the landout options out there and he said "I didn't".

There is no doubt in my mind that having a motor offers a huge
advantage in some contest situations. Â*But don't change the rules, I'm
thinking of going over to the dark side.

Andy (GY)

The advantage of the motor is supposed to be offset with the handicap
value, at least for Sports Classâ™*. Â*In the other classes the price you
pay for a motor is it's own handicap!

Mike "Would like to experience the Dark side!" Bamberg

I'd have to check, but I think the only adjustment is for the
additional wing loading from the weight of the engine.

9B

Andy,

You're right, I just looked at the handicap list and didn't see any
difference for the model with or without the motor. Maybe we need a
proposal!

Mike