Old July 18th 14, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Contest Class Development for Future Success - The Case fordeveloping the Handicapped Classes

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:38:17 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:

Actually, it was not made clear in my reply whether the STD and 15M Nats were scored as separate Nationals while being co-located. I suppose one could do that, but it doesn't seem necessary. If the STDs and 15M were scored separately, differences in ranking outcome for STD pilots would probably be negligible and it's not clear to me if would make difference. On weak survival days, I don't see completion ratios being much different between STD and 15M ships. In fact, I implicitly intended that there would be one Nationals scoring pool for both STD and 15M ships for simplicity. My recommendation was that I was "ok" with not handicapping STDs, because there will still be a 1st place, 2nd and third trophy for the highest placing STDs. Perhaps one could handicap all ships in the STD/15M scoring pool, but as I noted, this is probably not popular right now. The final cumulative points for the STD class could be modified later in the U.S. Team Selection process to normalize performance difference.

I think it all only matters if you care about having a Standard Class National Champion or US representation at the WGC for the Standard Class. If either of those matter then you'd need to have a minimum number of contestants IN THE CLASS to make the contest count for the class. Today that is 10 competitors. Without 10 Standard Class gliders you could't have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for Standard as a sub-ranking. You couldn't have a separate Standard Class champion (from a Nationals or WGC perspective) unless there were at least 10 Standard Class gliders flying. If, for example, there were only 1 or 2 Standard Class Competitors in a 15M Nationals there could be no Standard Class Champion (not enough competition) - under that scenario the Standard Class gliders would have to beat the 15M gliders outright for placing in the contest and PRL points would be calculated against the winner across all gliders, not just Standard.

In other words, it would be just like Montague this year - you could fly, but you get no separate accounting as Standard Class unless there are at least 10 of you flying in Standard. Is that what you were advocating for?

9B