Old April 19th 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Taurus glider for sale

On 4/19/2019 8:10 AM, wrote:
I bought a G-103 that had been in a hangar fire in Georgia, Peach State
Club. We needed a left wing and the photos showed what looked like a
useable left wing on a fuselage with canopies that had been hot enough to
melt the canopies. Both canopied draped down like a tarp, but it was the
new shape of the plexiglass! The outer skin of the left wing top was
blistered and had to be replaced, but the spar caps were undamaged. I
figured the wing hadn’t been in 350 degree environment long enough to
affect the more dense spar cap. We proof-loaded the wing and it took 5.3
G’s with flying colors! That was some 25 years ago and that ship is still
flying today! Just a little data point about how much heat a fiberglass
structure can take, JJ

WARNING: Engineering humor nearby!!!

Good thing the statute of limitations has expired, JJ, cuz the engineer in me
likes how you thought - and acted on the courage of your convictions - all
those years ago. Just like 'industry big boys' and 'reasonable government
safety-regulating-minions' regularly do in aviation-land - one test is worth a
thousand considered opinions. (Take *that* FUD-Merchants and [sometimes]
lazy/fearful manufacturers!)

Now back to regularly-scheduled programming.

:-)

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com