Old May 19th 19, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Escaping glider on the ground with stuck canopy?

Closest I know of....a certain VA fall site......close to airport.....crashed ASW in trees, many saw lost sailplane.....fuselage was upside down, nose between rocks....skinney pilot, broken canopy, side fuselage structure kept cockpit from crushing....pilot wiggled out and was found by local PooPoo walking off mountain......
Decades ago, a husband/wife team (from our club) gave me and Hank (the real "UH") a short/stout Spyderco pocket knife "just in case".....never needed it, always with me, one hand operation if need be......glad I have it, never hope to need it.....if I think I am going to die, dang straight I will try to waste a canopy....cost is an afterthought.......