Old May 20th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default S80 vario decoupling

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 12:41:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
I use my S8 for STF and my Oudie for final glides.

Go to Settings / Hardware in the Oudie and unclick the boxes for the vario communications with the S8 and, voila, you can fly with different MC values in each instrument.

(I got the from Paul Remde.)

Lou

Thanks, yes that is how used to have it setup, but that requires entering waypoints and STF in each instrument as required. I've since switched it around and coupled the comms, and by doing that I don't really need to touch the Oudie all day, set it and forget it, and primarily use the S80 for any variables. The only issue then is that on final glide I need to flip the MacCready back and forth from STF to a "height check" MacCready value. With this setup any changes are done with S80 knobs or buttons, allows much less fiddling overall with computers, and almost no fiddling or tapping on the Oudie (usually just screen changes which I can do with my finger).
If we could get LXNav to develop a navbox where you could select the MacCready value for say "arrival altitude on target MacCready X", a variable MacCready setting, the vario would essentially be "uncoupled" for my needs. Maybe it is allowed for some other way and I just don't see it...

I keep the vario set on the final glide MacCready value and turn the volume down on the vario. There's not a lot of benefit, trying to follow MacCready on the final glide anyway.

YMMV,
Craig