Old September 20th 03, 10:41 AM
Mark Cherry

In ,
Kevin Reilly wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 Neil E. Baird wrote:

I don't know whats going on. I must have covered every inch of that
island and still cant find those statues. I cranked up all the
settings as high as they go.

That may be part of the problem. With all settings full I couldn't
have found those heads if they'd been jumping up and down and waving
at me. They blend in too well with the terrain textures and
especially the autogen trees.

Trees? On Easter Island? ROFL The curse of auto-gen!

To quote the back of the box :-
"As you fly above cities, towns and phot-realistic airports, you'll see dramatic
landscapes and vegetation taking shape that are *true to the native terrain*"
{my emphasis}. Somebody hasn't done their research.

As any documentary addict (me, for instance) will tell you, there ain't no trees
left on Easter Island. The indigenous people cut them all down, probably to roll
statues from place to place on, until there were no trees left. (Statue building
had become an inter-tribal competitive sport, the experts reckon). By the time
Captain Cook got there, most of them had starved to death. The remainder were
basically at war and/or eating each other because they couldn't make boats, or
even simple dugout canoes to go fish from.

I wonder what happens with auto-gen as you fly through the Brazilian rain
forest?

I apologize for this post being of no technical assistance whatsoever but I
couldn't help myself.

--
regards,

Mark