Old October 26th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
S Green

Default Adiabatic lapse rate

"Peter" wrote in message

(Dane Spearing) wrote

Now, our Cherokee 6 can't climb up to FL 350, so I have no personal
experience with how high the standard lapse rate holds. However, my son
will tell you that for a clear day, above 2000' AGL, it seems to hold
very very well.

He got lucky. I can't remember a flight here (UK) where the lapse rate
was anything like 2C/1000ft.

Yesterday, +10C on the ground, +8C at 5000ft.

That might have been because there was an inversion from the ground up to
say 2000 ft, a higher temperature that ground level.