Old January 2nd 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Default flaps again

Hilton wrote:
Dudley wrote:
No flap landings should be handled by instructors as simply another
procedure to be learned. There's nothing earth shattering about a no flap
landing, BUT and this is a BIG BUT HERE......there are aspects of a no
flap landing that are very different from a landing using "flaps as
required", so all CFI's should demonstrate no flap landings and go over
the aspects of no flap landings with every student.
I don't treat this situation as an emergency; simply something the student
must be completely familiar with before solo.

I was in the pattern at night with a student in a C172 at RHV and we had a
total electrical failure. No lights, no flaps, ... I had him hold a
flashlight at the ASI and call out airspeeds, I then did a glassy water
landing - worked perfectly!

I had a complete electrical failure in a C177RG at night on the way from
Duluth to Minneapolis back in 2003. Not wanting to fly into either the
Class B or the Mode C veil without radio contact, I elected to put down
at an uncontrolled field north of the Cities. A buddy was flying a 182
on the same trip a mile or so ahead of me, so I got him on my handheld
and told him the plan. He went in ahead of me, assuring the
pilot-controlled runway lights got turned on and handling any radio
comms that might be needed if any other traffic showed up, while I
circled to make sure I got the gear down. Took a bit of pumping to get
it locked - it was reassuring that the tiny amount of remaining power
was enough to get a green light when it locked. So then it was just a
matter of landing NORDO, no lights, no flaps, in the dark. What fun! I
was sure glad I had practiced all of those, albeit not all at once.

My buddy was waiting on the ramp and said the only thing he saw as I
came in was the runway edge lights blinking out as I rolled past them.