Old December 2nd 03, 03:31 AM
Del Rawlins

On 01 Dec 2003 06:07 PM, Ron Wanttaja posted the following:
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:09:35 GMT, Kyler Laird
wrote:

Ron Wanttaja writes:

Well... as far as homebuilts are concerned, fuel exhaustion (defined
as the pilot running the airplane out of fuel) plays only a minor
role in the overall accident rate. During 1998-2000, only 4.5% of
all homebuilt accidents involved fuel exhaustion (including some
accidents that occurred during precautionary landings due to a low
fuel state).

How many of "all homebuilt accidents" involved an "emergency landing"?
(I don't think we mean "landing" to include "falling to earth in
pieces".)

About 20% of the homebuilt accidents in that period involved a loss of
power due to mechanical failure of the engine or fuel system (vs.
pilot mismanagement of fuel or power system). About 15% engine
related, about 5% fuel-system related.

Is "running out of gas' considered pilot mismanagement of the fuel
system in the accident report data? Also, I realize that the accident
data is what you have available, but data showing the causes for forced
landings (which may not necessarily generate an accident report) might
be more appropriate.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/