Old May 28th 04, 04:29 PM
hlongworth

Gerry Mader of REDAM makes a product called POLYFIX that will repair
any thermoplastic. Wicks used to sell it. It comes in different size
kits, depending on the number of linear square inches of material are
in the kit.

We repaired all the plastic cracks in our 1970 Cardinal with ABS
plastic (Royalite is ABS plastic) and cement then spray-painted with
SEM vinyl paint. The panels looked almost like new (one has to look
real hard to find the repaired area).

Here is the url to order ABS sheet

http://www.selectproducts.com/product/abslaminates.html

1. MEK (paint thinner)- about $2/qt 2.

2. ABS cement (Oatey blue can found at Lowe`s) - about $4/can

3. ABS sheet - about $10/sheet

4. Fiberglass cloth - about $4/package

5. Plastic primer (We got some local brand at an automotive store).
Note: Later on, we just 'roughened' the plastic with bit of MEK and
skipped the primer.

6. SEM or Krylon vinyl/plastic paint: We got the Krylon from Walmart
for the headliner and upper plastic panels and ordered SEM from
automotive stores for lower panels. SEM paint seemed to be more
durable but take more coats and cost a bit more than Krylon.

We fixed large cracks with fiberglass cloth and ABS cement. MEK is
great to roughen the ABS before laying down the cloth, and to soak the
cloth before brushing on the cement (MEK can cause liver damage so
make sure that the work area is well-ventilated). Strips of ABS can be
glued over the crack area for strength. For large missing areas, we
built several layers of fiberglass cloth/ABS cement and filled the top
areas with thicker cement made by dissolving small pieces of ABS in
MEK. For small cracks, we just used a dab of ABS cement. Once the
patched areas are dried, just sand, prime and spray paint.