Old June 14th 21, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Oxygen

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:04:15 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:
I've been using Mountain High systems since they came out- after using the manually adjusted Nelson system, which was taken over and improved by Patrick McLaughlin (Mountain High). Once Patrick patented and introduced the EDS system, I happily switched over and have been a dealer for MH since the early '90s. It is by far the best for what we do in soaring (or hang gliding, or paragliding). Any manually adjusted system requires constant monitoring to make sure you are receiving sufficient oxygen for the altitude you are experiencing. The easiest method is to just set it for the highest altitude you reach and leave it alone. Sure, you are wasting a bit of O2 when you are low, but you don't have to worry if you set it to (say) 12,000 ft. MSL and forget to adjust it as you climb to 17,000. A few years ago (while bored) I went back through my flight logs for one season and discovered that I got 145 hours of flight, and was above 10,000 ft. MSL for 136 of those hours. With that much need for supplemental oxygen, it is a relief to not have to devote ANY time or effort to continually readjust the flow. And I don't have to wear a cannula that looks like part of a weird Halloween costume.

I now set my EDS to start delivering O2 at all altitudes (even on the ground). At my age, the extra hit of "brain gas" has helped me during the launch, tow and initial climb. I am undoubtedly safer if I start on O2 prior to the flight, and I have lived at 5,000 ft. MSL for my entire life. If you come from sea level, and rarely hit 10,000 ft. MSL during your flights, you NEED O2, and you MUST be completely comfortable with the proper use of your delivery system. This is NOT a place to go "cheap." It is, after all, your brain.

If you are not familiar with, and confident using supplemental oxygen, my advice is to spend the money on the best system. I guarantee you will be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it. Flying out of Moriarty in the summer is very demanding, and improper use of an inadequate oxygen system is dangerous. And sometimes annoying to other pilots. I have heard some really bad singing on 123.3 by hypoxic pilots who are just a few minutes away from tunnel vision and unconsciousness.

I can only second Mark's comments! I used to fly with an old military 8A8 system, which I had overhauled and 'yellow-tagged'. One had to constantly adjust the flow gauge to match the altitude. I now have the EDS for a two-seater installed and never looked back. Turn it on and it does the rest automatically. It even warns you, if you have not been inhaling through your nose, like when the cannula slips or shifts away from your nose unnoticed.
Spend the money - your life may depend on it.

Uli
'AS'