Old January 7th 04, 04:10 PM
Peter R.

Rick Durden ) wrote:

A thunderstorm is a thunderstorm, regardless of surface air
temperature, if it possesses the necessary energy and lifting to make
a thunderstorm, then it is a thunderstorm no matter whether the precip
it spews forth hits the ground as rain or snow.

snip

Thanks, Rick, Mike, and Peter.

Apparently I was lulled into believing that this type of convective
activity was not the same as a monster t-storm that occurs during the
summer due to the cold temperatures, lower tops, and slower moving cells.

I took a look at the NOAA's convective outlook page and interestingly they
had no organized convective activity across the US yesterday. However, the
text from the forecaster did briefly mention convective possibilities in
lake effect activity.

--
Peter