Old August 9th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

Default Uvalde Day 3

Day 3. (As usual you can go to the ssa website for scores and official
version.) We had a 4 hour yo-yo TAT, first south west to Flying G,
then north into the hill country (leakey) then a long leg south to Uno
Mas. Scrappy cu at the start, then a big blue hole to cross, and then
nice clouds in the Flying G area.. Once again through a bluish hole to
the hill country, which as usual produced strong but very tight and
choppy lift. Most of us turned around quickly. The leg to Uno Mas was
upwind and pretty blue, with only occasional scrappy bits of cloud.
Surprisingly, it worked pretty well, with about 1 out of 3 clouds
producing 5-7 knot lift. Winning speeds around 75 with the top 10
pretty well clustered. Not bad for climb and glide conditions! As
usual the winners report just dancing from thermal to thermal, while
the rest of us had one or two low spots to dig out of -- mine again
approaching the hill country (Will I ever get to fly over the hill
country at a comfortable altitude?) The open class went up to Sonora
and reported blasting along a 70 mile street with no turns, while the
15 meter was struggling in the blue. As a result they posted much
higher speeds in the mid 80s.

John Cochrane
BB