Old December 10th 09, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

Default The Melting Deck Plates Muddle - V-22 on LHD deck....

On Dec 10, 4:50*am, BlackBeard wrote:
On Dec 9, 11:52*pm, "dott.Piergiorgio"

wrote:
guy ha scritto:

Previously, the Harrier was the only aircraft to put serious amounts
of heat on the carrier deck, but not enough to do damage. But when you
compare the Harrier engine with those on the V-22 and F-35B, you can
easily see that there is a lot more heat coming out of the two more
recent aircraft. Someone should have done the math before it became a
real problem.

How did *they manage with the AV8/Harrier then?

I second the question and point that V-22 & F-35B's heat discharge is
from exhaust gas discharge and/or propeller (IF I grokked well, the 35B
has a sort of vertical propeller contraption) when the harrier's heat
discharge are *from jet vanes so at least on paper, Harrier's vertical
exhaust is more hot than V-22...

Best regards from Italy.
Dott. Piergiorgio.

As for the 35B, yes it uses a central fan device for vertical TO/L,
but it also has an exhaust tail that rotates to 90 degrees down. So
there are two forces working to lift it. I spent a week or so shooting
both.
*As for the V-22, the solution, like the Harrier might be to limit TO/
L to rolling approach/landing. *With both platforms direct impingement
is enough to cause damage.

BB

Or use the rocket launch technique and spray water across the take-off
area.