Old December 20th 04, 10:24 PM
Burt Compton

Default Minor changes to USA FAR's 2005

For USA glider pilots.

I'm looking at my brand new 2005 FAR / AIM book (published by ASA). For the
first time in a few years, there are lots of minor changes to the FAR's -
highlighted with a black line in the margins. Plus the Sport Aircraft / Pilot
additions.

I haven't reviewed it all yet, but the 2005 FAR's need a thorough re-read by
all of us, especially CFI's and DPE's.

Towpilots should note the changes about towing "unpowered ultralight vehicles"
(61.69 and 91.309). Now we can legally tow a Sparrowhawk and others.

The right of way rules now require powered parachutes to yield to gliders.
(91.126). This is good - I once overtook and passed a powered parachute on
long final, in my glider (in Florida) - had no choice.

Remember, when it says "aircraft" the FAR's apply to all categories including
gliders. When it says "airplane", that's a category and may not include
gliders. Like the left hand pattern rule at non-towered airports is only for
"airplanes.(91.126 / in class G).

And don't forget to set your altimeters to reported pressure or field elevation
when "cruising"! (91.121).

Yep - time find the cheaters and read the fine print by the firelight.

Burt Compton, CFI / DPE
Marfa Gliders, west Texas