Old March 2nd 14, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Strange jump in IGC file recorded on iPhone

Last Sunday, I gave 3 rides in the club's L-23 and recorded them using the SeeYou app on my iPhone 4S. Flights have been uploaded to SkyLines with the 3rd one (https://www.skylines-project.org/flights/26873/) showing the anomaly.

Near the time of my release, the altitude jumps almost 1,000' and position a half mile between 15:37:05 and 15:37:06 PDT.

It seems the takeoff altitude is correct, but then the tow seems to stop climbing for a while as recoded, then continues about 1,000' below actual altitude until the jump, where it catches up.

The position jump is also interesting as it appears the position drifted for a while, then suddenly caught up to reality.

Is this a result of the iPhone dealing with a poor GPS signal? I was in the rear seat with the phone in my breast pocket, so a good view of the sky forward and up, but the wings and fuselage could be blocking some satellites to the sides and rear.

-Tom