Old October 27th 04, 05:44 PM
Robert M. Gary

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
Okay, I gave myself the early birthday present. I can't believe how
sensitive the 296 is. I stroll down to the dock and it tells me that I
am tracking 178 degrees at 1 knot; I turn around and walk back, and
THE MAP FLIPS! and I am tracking 348 degrees (whatever). I even got it
to show a bank on the panel display when I walked briskly along and
tilted the GPS.

Anyhow, my question: I set it to show Zulu time and magnetic compass
readings. Then I wondered: is this the right thing to do?

Is this the right thing to do? Are there any other basic settings I
should set now that will improve my life to come?

I just bought one this summer. I found it very non-intuitive to use.
After flying behind it for about 100 hours I think I'll dump it. I'm
most annoyed by the fact that it doesn't show airways on the map. The
screen is also smaller than my SkyMap IIIC and the terrain on the 296
always seems to be wrong (its usually off by at least 1000 feet). I
also don't like the fact that the only way to get a course line is to
put it in marine mode. I like being able to fly to an airport simply
by turning until the course line falls on the airport. The design of
the screen is very odd to me too. They put most of the room to the
side of the plane. They should have designed the screen to be taller
and perhaps more narrow. I'm more concerned with what is ahead of me
than what is to the side. I still have my SkyMapIIIc with the terrain
database so I'll probably swap back to that.

-Robert