Old September 10th 04, 02:50 PM
Ventus B

The wheel brake in my LS4 was also ineffective at first. Turns out all
I needed to do was a minor adjustment, and then you could put the
glider on it's nose. Secondly, there is also the possibility of
having the brakes modified (I believe by a motorcycle shop in
California) that will make the drum brakes very effective.
The LS4 was my first glider and a great one too. I couldn't have
asked for better handling and docile stall characteristics. It's
strong as hell, and the manually connected ailerons and spoilers were
a snap. In fact it was easier and faster to assemble my LS4 than my
second glider which was a Ventus that had automatic control hookups.
You can't go wrong with a well cared for LS4.

Stefan wrote in message ...
Jeff Runciman wrote:

Thank you again for your advise. Any more thoughts
on the LS4? Any concerns with the age?

The LS 4 is one of the most docile gliders I've ever flown. In some
European clubs it's even used as first solo training glider! The age is
no factor, the shape it's in is. Later LS4s have authomatic hook ups,
early ones don't, this should be reflected in the price.

The LS 4 has two negative points: One is the bad surface quality.
Depending on the use, they need a refinish rather soon. (In a club
environment after 15 years or so.) So take a careful look. The second is
the wheel brake. The wheel brake is a joke. This can be a problem if you
have to outland in a short field.

Stefan