Old September 26th 03, 01:57 PM
Bill Daniels

"GeorgeB" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:04:36 GMT, "Chris Ruf"
wrote:

The Maximum tire pressure on the tires is 44psi, so I upped the rear
pressure to 44psi and the fronts to 41. [for towing the manual says

29psi
front, 41psi rear].

Generally, you don't want to harden up the fronts ... the sideways
force from the hitch doesn't generate much torque to bother them.
Hard fronts, even not pulling a trailer, often cause high steering
sensitivity. Tongue weight lightens the load on them. That is one of
the reasons for a weight-distributing hitch.

Be careful here to understand the four wheel drive system in your vehicle.
(I think the Subaru uses a central differential and not a viscous coupling
for its full-time 4WD.) However, any full-time 4WD vehicle will suffer very
expensive damage to the transfer case if the front and rear axles turn at
different speeds for an extended time as they would with different tire
pressures.

My Jeep uses and central viscous coupling instead of a center differential
so all four tires must always be the same diameter else very expensive
repairs are in the offing.

Bill Daniels