Old September 19th 16, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Displaying ADS-B UAT Traffic on PowerFlarm

I agree with Darryl Ramm's assessment that a PowerFlarm and Mode S transponder (Trig T22 in my case) in my glider is the best solution for collision awareness and "good aviation citizenship" with other powered traffic. That's what I have in my glider.

However, monitoring ADS-B UAT (978Mhz) aircraft directly will be important once 2020 and full equipage occurs for powered traffic. Right now, PowerFlarm does a nice integration of FLARM, PCAS, and 1090ES ADS-B targets on a variety of displays. I agree with Darryl that adding a GA based device and separate non glider ADS-B situational awareness display for ADS-B is an awkward and costly solution.

Let me propose another solution...

Why not add a device that monitors just for UAT ADS-B traffic (978Mhz), and rebroadcast it at very very low power 1090Mhz in the 1090ES format for the PowerFlarm to receive, process and display? I'm not an electronics engineer or software expert, but this device could be quite small, low power and not need a user interface at all. With such a device PowerFlarm could see all ADS-B traffic on both frequencies... and would not require the FLARM people to modify any software/hardware for the U.S. market.

Any engineers ... Darryl .. or anyone else care to comment on such a device?

Walt Rogers WX