Old March 31st 21, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Underhill

Default Ventus b flap sealing

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 3:18:06 p.m. UTC-6, wrote:
Thanks for the reply Frank.

The configuration I'm removing was a tape of some sort on the flap to wing gap with conventional tape and mylar on the ailerons. All of this is bottom surface only. My concern is with the wing to flap angle and whether the mylar would get pinched or bent. Dick Johnson did report "Excellent factory-installed air seals were evident along the elevator, aileron, and flap hinge lines and at the flap/fuselage juncture," in his December 1981 review of the Ventus a in Soaring magazine. I'm not sure whether mylar was over the seal or not. The seals and mylar I'm removing are the GFS system from Streifeneder and have been on a long time.

I have mylar top and bottom on mine. The mylar hasn't come off yet from the brake's movement.

I don't have the internal fabric tape that the factory installed. I believe a previous owner removed it when they removed the flaps and ailerons for refinish.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

No internal rolling S seals on my Ventus either. I mocked up a small section of the seal and mylar on the flap and it looked like it will work ok. I don't think my Ventus b (SN 37) has ever had any sealing on the upper surfaces.