Old March 31st 21, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Underhill

Default Ventus b flap sealing

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 2:20:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On 3/31/2021 2:32 AM, krasw wrote:
Mylars do not seal the gap, to create airtight barrier you need that s-tape.

Right, mylar+teflon helps but does not seal completely on these gliders.
Its some decades back, but IIRC the rolling seal was an option,
and did help with performance (but a maintenance nuisance).
If you're working on seals anyway, consider adding the rolling seal if
not already equipped...
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

Thanks for the input Dave,

I'm not sure the rolling seal is worth the effort and expense. I'm not that good to know the difference : ) I might have to remove the flap and inner aileron to fix an issue with play in the actuating rod at the aileron connection, but that's a different story.

Dick Johnson's Ventus A review mentions factory seals along the hinge line, but he didn't mention the rolling seal that is evident in the aft wing root photo in the article. The flap to fuselage junction has mylar also, which mine is lacking, although it does have rubber boots inside the fuselage on the flap actuating tube.