Old October 31st 03, 12:13 PM
john price

Barry first of all, the scenario is not possible, since to be a single
engine CFI, I believe you need to have a single engine instrument
rating... If somehow, the instructor is not instrument rated in the
airplane, he has no business being in IFR conditions...

John Price
CFII/AGI/IGI
http://home.att.net/~jm.price

"Barry" wrote in message
A CFI with airplane single-engine rating but not instrument-airplane (not

CFII) gives flight instruction to a private pilot. Part of the flight is

in
the clouds, with the private pilot flying. Can the CFI log instrument

time
under FAR 61.51(g)(2):

"An authorized instructor may log instrument time when conducting

instrument
flight instruction in actual instrument flight conditions." ?

One can argue that a CFI without the CFII is not authorized to give
instrument flight instruction, and therefore can't log it. This leads to

related question: Is this CFI exceeding his privileges (61.193, see also
61.1(b)(10) ) by providing such instruction (in or our of the clouds),

such
as additional training to a pilot working on an instrument rating?

Please cite a reference if possible. I couldn't find this in the Part 61
FAQ (http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/afs800/docs/pt61FAQ.doc).

Barry